I'm Back! + Top 5 Favourite Halloween Films

I have no excuse for being absent for two years. Life got really busy, and somewhere along the way I guess I lost some of the motivation to keep up my blog. I am back now, better than ever (haha) and really inspired to provide some nice blog content for you. I have to admit I have started a new job in Belgium (exciting times) so I can't guarantee that I'll be posting super regularly, but I promise I'll do the best I can!


October is one of my favourite months in the year, I absolutely adore the coloured leaves falling from the trees, adorning the streets; the weather getting chillier, providing the best excuse for cosy nights in; and the autumn fashion. As I see it, Halloween falls perfectly in between the more autumny months of September and October, and on the other side, November and December, which are, in my opinion, reserved for getting excited for Christmas!

During the second half of October, I have a few things I do to get into the spirit of Halloween. In addition to some true crime documentaries, I share here my top five films to watch around Halloween time:

1. Hocus Pocus
A Halloween film list wouldn't be complete without including Hocus Pocus, so I awarded it the first place. It's such a cosy film, and even though it is not very scary (it is marketed at kids, after all), it includes many Halloween staples like black cats, zombies and witches. As a bonus, it features Sarah Jessica Parker, and as I'm currently rewatching Sex and the City, one of my all time favourite TV series, I thought it's even better!

2. Nightmare Before Christmas
Similarly to the first film on my list, this is not a scary film but since it includes a lot of Halloween musts (pumpkins, dolls etc.), I like to watch this film around Halloween time. I've actually only seen this film once (I have forgotten to watch this for a few Halloweens now), so I have planned to definitely watch this one this time around, it's high time! Also, I know some people count this as a Christmas film, but I see it as definitely a film to watch on Halloween, besides it provides the perfect transition from Halloween films into Christmas!

3. Sweeney Todd
And by this I mean the version with Johnny Depp, I don't know if they've done more film versions of the story. This is very different from the first two films on my list in that it is definitely not a film for kids and does not include any Halloween themes, apart from being scary and gory. I am not one for the goriest scary films and I feel like Sweeney Todd is perfect for me in that the gory scenes make it scary but the film itself is still mostly based on a great plot. It's also got some very funny scenes, my favourite is when the Italian hairdresser (played by Sasha Baron Cohen) drops his accent and is revealed as a common Londoner. All in all, Sweeney Todd is one of my favourite films in general but especially great to watch around Halloween.

4. Edward Scissorhands
Another film starring Johnny Depp on my Halloween must see list! This film does not really have any Halloween vibes and is not really scary either, but I do like the story, and the mystery elements surrounding it, as well as Edward's hands of scissors somehow make it appropriate for Halloween (Edward Scissorhands would be a great costume for Halloween too, if you had a lot of time on your hands.. no pun intended!).

5. The Woman in Black
To include a proper horror film in this list (even if this film is more mystery than pure horror) is a recent favourite of mine, the Woman in Black. I have to admit I initially started watching it because of Daniel Radcliffe (I'm a huge Harry Potter fan), but this film has got a really good plot and some decent jumpscares, so in my mind it qualifies as a horror film and is thus perfect for Halloween! Apparently the film is based on a short story/play, although when I was watching it it really reminded me of a classic novel called The Woman in White. The name is very similar which is why I believe there could be some similarity between the two. Please, if any of you have read the book and watched the film, let me know if you think the same!

Hopefully you find some new favourites among my favourites! Do you guys have any plans for Halloween? I don't, but I'll be getting cosy and watching at least some of the films mentioned above, and maybe some new to-be-favourites too! Tonight, I'm planning to light my apple-scented candle and watch Hocus Pocus!

I promise you won't have to wait another two years for the next post, haha :) I'm planning to travel around in Belgium and do at least one post for you guys to see, with hopefully some festives touches in it already :)

Have a spooky Halloween!

Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts