Four things my mum taught me about beauty


I became very inspired reading this post by Lucy Moon where she listed five things her mum taught her about beauty. I am very close to my mum and my whole family, and I like to give credit where it's due: my mum has taught me so much about how the world works and what is important in life that I think she deserves a mention on my blog.

Some of the things I mention here are similar to what Lucy wrote, but hopefully you'll still enjoy reading my list :)

1. Makeup is fun

One of the earliest memories I have of makeup is evenings spent on my mum's bed with my two sisters, trying on products from my mum's makeup bag on each other. Thankfully I don't have photos of these events, I distinctly remember once having green eye shadow on, and I'm sure that wasn't a good look! We called these "relaxation nights" and would combine them with giving each other foot massages and listening to relaxation CD's. I have very fond memories of these times, and from then on I've associated makeup with having fun and trying on different things just for fun.

2. Beauty products can be a treat and a part of "me time"

When I was young, I remember always seeing beautiful bottles and pots of moisturisers, serums and makeup in our bathroom cabinet. I distinctly remember a serum that separated into an oil and a gel-like product (one part was red, the other yellow) that she kept in our fridge, I really enjoyed giving it a shake every once in a while and turning it orange! (I'm sorry mum, I really hope this didn't destroy the serum). Even if she didn't go crazy on beauty products, my mum definitely treated herself when it came to makeup and beauty and would rather spend a bit more money on a higher quality product. I learned that feeling good in yourself is very important and worth spending money on. I also learned the importance of "me time" - beauty routines can be an integral part in this as you get to know your own body and be comfortable in it.

3. There are more important things in life than looks

Even if I always remember my mum wanting to look her best when going out, I also recall that she wasn't afraid of going out without makeup, and over the years I've realised she's spending less and less time getting ready in the mornings. She also always instilled in me and my sisters how important education is and having your own career as a woman. More often my mum would compliment me on a good mark on an exam than on my looks.

4. You are at your most beautiful when not wearing makeup

I heard this sentence very often at that awful stage in my teenage years when I thought that wearing makeup, and lots of it, was a must - even if she does tell me this every once in a while even now. I never believed her, but I think her telling me this often was crucial to me developing into who I am today. I would say I am quite confident (even if we all have those days sometimes), and I've got my mum to thank for that 

Thank you, mum!

I'd be really interested in reading any beauty tips or lessons you've learned from your mums, sisters, best friends etc. Please leave them in the comments, or if you also find yourself inspired to write your own blogpost, please leave a link to it below!

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts