Christmas Watch List

Now that it's November and past Halloween, I am definitely starting to feel quite festive and while I haven't fully started listening to Christmas music and watching festive films yet, I have started certain preparations, among them compiling a list of Christmas films I want to watch this festive season. This is not my favourite Christmas films list, even if it definitely includes my all time faves that I find myself watching over and over every year at Christmas time.



I thought it would be fun to share which films are on my list this year! (I have seen all of the films on the list so I'll give some info on each, but no spoilers!)

Love Actually and Holiday

These are the two staples that I watch every year around Christmas time. Both are old favourites that I discovered years ago, and have watched dozens of times. When I first discovered these films, I used to watch them all year round, but now that I'm super familiar with the stories, I save them to watch in the run up to Christmas. I feel like most people would know of both Love Actually and Holiday, but if for some reason you haven't seen one or both of these, they are my number one recommendation!

Elf and the Grinch

Both the Grinch and Elf are reasonably recent discoveries of mine, having watched them for the past three or four Christmases (or mostly around November, these films, along with Love Actually and the Holiday, are one of the Christmas films I normally start the festive season with. Actually, this list is roughly arranged in the order in which I plan to watch these films, if anyone is curious :D).

Home Alone

Home Alone is one of my favourite festive films and I've watched it without fail for quite a few Christmases now. My favourite scene is the scene in the church with the boy and the old neighbour, it's so peaceful. Fun fact, Bastille made a cover of Oh Holy Night with dialogue from Home Alone at the beginning of the song (in the scene where the dialogue takes place, Oh Holy Night plays in the background... so cool!). I really like their version of the song, and the carol in general.

Polar Express

I've only seen this film once before, but I remember really liking it, which is why it's on my Christmas must-watch list this year. I can't say that much about the film, apart from I remember it being really good, so if any one hasn't seen this one yet (I feel like Polar Express is one of the less-known festive flicks), I highly recommend it :) A plus for the film for me is the end-credit song, When Christmas Comes to Town, it's so good and on my Christmas playlist this year!

Saving Santa and Arthur Christmas

These two are children's animated films, but I feel like there's nothing more festive around Christmas time than a good animation, which is why I'm really excited to watch both of these soon! Neither of these films were around when I was a kid, but both have a good story and an amazing voice cast (Martin Freeman in Saving Santa, anyone??).

The Muppets Christmas Carol

I usually try to save this one for last, I feel like the story (based on the story by Charles Dickens, which I've read) is just so festive that it can't be beat! I've seen quite a few versions of this story (like the recent animation with Jim Carrey as Scrooge, and I also remember seeing a Disney version of this), but the Muppets version is in my opinion one of the best ones! To make this film even better, it features another song on my Christmas playlist called It Feels Like Christmas. Such a feel-good song, even if it gets me a few weird looks if I ever listen to my playlist with other people!

So, these nine films make up my festive list this year! Quite ambitious, but I'm sure I can do it!

Please let me know if you are planning to watch any of the same films, or if you have any suggestions for me (I'm always on the look-out for more festive favourites!).

I'm yet to start listening to Christmas music or getting through this list of films, but I feel like it won't be long til I'm in full festive mode.... :D

Love,

Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts