Top 6 horror films

It's that time of the year... October is always my favourite time of the year to watch horror films (although, you can definitely watch them all year round!). I wouldn't say I'm a massive horror film addict, but I do like the feeling of being scared, and some horror films actually have great plots! Without further ado, here are my top 6 horror films.



1. The Shining

This is the first horror film I remember seeing (I was probably around 13...?). It's very creepy and unsettling with so many scary elements in it - empty hotel corridors, scary twins, a cold, snowy setting... This is a must-watch horror film for everyone! Fun fact: I also really like the Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors episode that is based on The Shining.

2. The Silence of the Lambs

If you like psychological thrillers, this is the horror film for you. There's a serial killer on the loose, and a policewoman in training is appointed to interview a well-known serial killer, who knows something about the current cases... I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen this film, but the twist at the end is superb! Warning - this is the most gory of my top 6 horror films, so if you're not into that stuff, this might not be for you...

3. The Orphanage

This has been a favourite film of mine for many years now. I find horror films including children very creepy, and this film is set in a Spanish orphanage, where many years ago something horrible happened to one of the children.. This film has an amazing plot and some very creepy scenes, not to mention the plot twist at the end.... Highly recommend! If you're studying Spanish, this film is also a great listening exercise.

4. Sleepy Hollow

This film was such a good find - it's a gothic horror story directed by Tim Burton, it's set in 1799, it's got Johnny Depp in and an otherwise excellent cast too, it mixes horror, mystery, fantasy and romance ... need I go on ??? It is not super scary but it has enough horror elements to be classed as a horror film, and as such is a great film to watch around Halloween time!

5. It Follows

I only watched this very recently (in the past month-ish), but it's already up there in my top 5 horror films. It's got that teen film feel, with a very original story. The atmosphere is great but it is not super scary, so this is great to watch with friends who might not like traditional horror films that much.

6. The Others

Another one I only got round to watching this year. Nicole Kidman is superb, and the film is set in a beautiful mansion in the 1940s. Another film including creepy children and a great plot twist at the end (...I'm beginning to see a pattern here!)

+1 Bonus! The Buzzfeed Unsolved series on YouTube

This month, I've really enjoyed watching the YouTube series "Buzzfeed Unsolved". They've covered stuff from the disappearance of Amelia Earhart, to Jack the Ripper (a great episode!), to an Alcatraz prison break. The two guys hosting the show are super funny, and the episodes are a perfect length at around 20 minutes per episode (I especially like the true crime episodes, but they also have episodes on other mysterious cases like sports conspiracies). I wholeheartedly recommend this, it's a great show to binge in October!

There you have it, my all-time favourite horror films! Let me know your favourites in the comments :) This Halloween, I'm actually planning to watch the original Halloween film (I still haven't seen it - no, I don't know which planet I've been living on) - so I'm really looking forward to Halloween night, curled up in front of the TV with a mound of snacks!

Have a great rest of October, and a creepy Halloween!

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts