Being Healthy?

I just want to emphasize now that this is in no way and will never be a health blog. I would say that I am a semi-healthy person, although by today's standards when I feel everyone is being super-healthy, knowledge on being healthy is very widespread and eating healthily is easier than ever before, I might be closer to the unhealthy end. I "exercise" once or twice a week, typically it will be either a half-an-hour run or 30 minutes (which is the same time, haha) of some yoga/dance videos from YouTube. I know this might not be enough, but this is how far I can go with my motivation and schedule.

That said, I am not the most healthy eater either. I would say that most of the things I eat during the day are healthy. My breakfast and lunch are pretty healthy most of the time, with porridge, high-fibre cereal or toast with peanut butter and a banana in the morning and a good mixture (or as good a mixture as I can do) of protein, vegetables and fruit for lunch (I prefer to limit meat and rarely eat red meat. Chicken and seafood I eat occasionally). I tend to eat quite a light dinner. How I keep my diet the healthiest possible is that I usually treat myself in some way every day. Now, I don't know if this is healthy (probably not), but I have found out that if I try to be super-healthy most days and then treat myself one day a week, I just can't do it. So, this usually involves either a little something after dinner (I have to admit I am a chocaholic...) or going out to eat a nice dinner somewhere (I love a good chicken/vegetarian burger) with maybe some dessert too. This is the way I have been eating for a couple of months now (since I moved to London, basically) and it has been working so far. Of course, there are also those times when I'll be eating pancakes for breakfast, a burger for lunch and then go to a movie and have a Coke, some popcorn and some chocolate. Luckily that doesn't happen too often.

I would say that I am not intrinsically interested in eating healthily and it doesn't give me infinite joy to go to Whole Foods and shop for protein powder, quinoa, organic oats and dried berries (I save that for the confectionery isle in Sainsbury's). I get my motivation for including healthy ingredients in my diet by thinking that I want to give my body the nutrients it needs, which is important for having great hair and skin. Also, what I think during exercise (apart from the fact that it is making my body more toned) is that sweating is very good for the skin and will give me energy afterwards.

The reason that I wanted to write today was actually just to share what I had for lunch. I went for a 25-minute run in the morning after breakfast and for lunch, I had quinoa and mixed vegetables. I just boiled the quinoa and fried a pack of ready-mixed vegetables from Tesco (my pack included onion, white and green cabbage, carrot, broccoli and red pepper, and it looked like the vegetables you might have in a Chinese wok. They were delicious and since I fried them in olive oil, pretty healthy too). I'm gutted that I didn't take a photo of it since it looked so good, but I think I'm making the same thing tomorrow so I might snap a pic then and post it here :) Afterwards, I had a fruit salad with banana, kiwi and apple, which I'll insert a photo of here.

Yummy!

What I want you to take away from this post is that first of all, I'm not going to be a health blogger but I might include some ideas for a healthy lunch/snack if I come up with something interesting. Secondly, I am in no way the picture of a perfectly healthy person and it is okay. I think with shops selling so many healthy things and people doing exercise 6 times a week and eating a plant-based diet (which most people saying they do it probably don't), it is easy to feel so bad about the way you eat and how you don't exercise enough. But I think that if you just put a tiny bit of effort into eating better and staying active, you will be a healthy and normal person. And finally, I know that my morning and lunch today seemed very healthy but I will probably go to a pub later today to celebrate a friend's birthday and have dinner and a few drinks. This is exactly what I mean when I say that you never know everything about another person's life. And it is probably been more than a week since I did any type of exercise :)

I hope you appreciate my two cents, I'd love to hear your thoughts too! Do you also feel like there's way too much pressure on being healthy? What kind of diets and exercise routines do you have? Finally, any fellow chocaholics out there? ;)

I'll do my best to show you my lunch tomorrow!
Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts