Current Favourites

I've collected some items over the past months that I thoroughly enjoy so I thought to share them here. It's quite a mix of different things, so I'm sure there's something for everyone. Not that you have to like the same things I do, but hopefully someone will get a bit of inspiration or encouragement if they've been wanting to try one of the things I've included.

For quite a while now, I've been hearing so many good things about the NARS Sheer Glow foundation. However, I was really contemplating on whether to buy it or not since it is definitely more expensive than the usual drugstore foundations I use. It just so happened around October that I had gotten some Amazon vouchers and had nothing specific to buy from there. Then I noticed that they had a beauty section and NARS Sheer Glow in pink-toned Mont Blanc in stock. So, I bought it. I wouldn't recommend to buy the foundation from Amazon unless you have vouchers like I did, the price comes to over £40 with delivery costs and I think it retails at around £31. Anyhow, I have to say I really like the foundation. It is definitely a heavy one, which I actually need at the moment, but I probably wouldn't use it in the summer. It covers up any imperfections amazingly and makes my skin look completely even. Personally, it is not the most dewy foundation I've used, but it's not matte either, and I think during the winter there is such a thing as "too much dewiness". I'm still not sure if it is worth £31 (you could get 3-4 drugstore foundations for that price), but it is very, very nice nevertheless and feels luxurious on the skin and in the makeup bag. I'll insert a picture of it here, where I'm also showing you my current nail polish favourite, Rimmel SalonPro by Kate in 114 Mars. Even in the picture you can see that it really delivers the promised salon gel finish and is just a very nice January colour, I might want to take a look at the other colours as well as I really love the finish. The colour reminds me of the olden times :) I'm sorry if it looks like I'm gripping the bottle very awkwardly, I was just trying to show the nail polish at the same time!


In addition to NARS Sheer Glow, the reason why I've really felt like my foundation has looked a lot better than before might be the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush and the Eco Tools Concealer Brush. My old foundation brush was getting old and starting to lose all its hair so it was time for a new one. The Real Techniques brush was another one that I'd heard so many good reviews on, which it totally deserves. It is so soft on the skin and really buffs the foundation in instead of dragging it around the face. I think it even improves the efficiency of the foundation, so you only need the tiniest amount. Combined with the concealer brush, my skin has never looked more flawless. I wouldn't especially recommend Eco Tools, I just never owned a concealer brush before so I wanted to start off with something basic. What I would recommend is investing in a separate concealer brush. It is better for impurities than fingers if you wash the brush regularly and makes concealing them much easier.


And here they are in their natural habitat with my other makeup brushes:


Clothes-wise, I was looking for new leather effect trousers since my old ones ripped in one knee (leather-like material rips very easily when bended, so now I try to not use them at home and refrain from my usual acrobatics when outside. Jokes :D). Inspired by Tanya Burr, I purchased the ones from ASOS (ASOS Leather Look Leggings, £18) and they are seriously amazing. They're so easy to pair with literally anything and provide a very nice base for a laid-back January style.

My current favourite film has to be Paddington. I saw the trailer and all the jokes got me and there's so many great actors in it as well, so I knew it couldn't go wrong. I'll admit I kind of love Hugh Bonneville ;) It's a funny film that you can go watch with anyone. I also recently saw The Theory of Everything, which was beautiful and thought-provoking. Eddie Redmayne definitely deserves the Globe for it. Now I'm actually contemplating giving A Brief History of Time a try.

I'll include one book favourite here as well. I'm quite a bookworm and I'll probably mention one book in each favourites post. This month it has to be The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie. I'm a huge fan of hers and I've probably seen the film versions of all of her novels. I'm more familiar with Poirot and Marple stories and had never really wanted to read the other ones she wrote (apart from And Then There Were None, which is one of my favourite books). Then I was in the library one day and read the back of The Man in the Brown Suit. It happens in London and the mystery involves the Tube, and I thought it would be a perfect read for a Londoner. The book has everything I love about Christie, but it also reminds me of Nancy Drew books that I used to love, so it's just the perfect combo. I heartily recommend it for any Agatha Christie/Nancy Drew/crime novel fans.

My recent favourite thing to watch has to be Broadchurch. I got into season 1 earlier this year thanks to Zoella and since I'm a fan of everything crime/mystery related (in addition to Christie, I've seen lots of episodes of Midsomer Murders, Lewis, Endeavour and all the other British murder series), the show is just right up my street. As a Doctor Who fan as well I wholly appreciate David Tennant and his accent, and all the other actors are brilliant too. The plot of the first season was just epic and I was holding my breath throughout the episodes. Season 2 seems just as good. Funnily enough, the reviews that I've read of the season so far revolve around people having problem hearing what the actors are saying due to accents/mumbling. I'm watching it on ITV Player where you can put subtitles on, I'd recommend that to anyone who's experiencing any trouble.

A final favourite in this post is a YouTube channel. You might remember me mentioning that I want to do some exercise regularly, and I was looking for some yoga tutorials to do at home. I found a channel called Yoga With Adriene, which is just the best thing. It's very easy even if you've done yoga/pilates only occasionally like me, and she's just such a nice and relatable person. She's doing a "30 days of Yoga" challenge this January, and even though I'm not saying I'm going to do yoga every day like she is, I'll try to do one as often as possible. They're not too long, from 15 to 40 minutes, so you can find one that suits your needs. It's an easy way to include some activity and "me-time" in your day (here I go again).

So here are some things I'm currently enjoying. Are you loving anything I'm loving? Do you have any good book recommendations? (and yes, I've already read Gone Girl! It was such a page-turner)

See you soon!

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts