February Favourites!

February has come and gone very quickly, I blame it on it being the shortest month in the year (by a couple of days only, but still). When's the leap year next time? I think it's on the years that are divisible by 4, so that would be 2018 then... I have no recollection of there being a leap day last year, but apparently there was :D

I don't really have that many favourites this time, but I do have some, so let's get cracking!

First of all, I have really enjoyed doing a specific makeup look during the past month, which is a cat-eye with a gel eye liner and a bronze kind of smoky eye with it. I have often paired it with leaving my hair down and curling it. I did post a FOTD a couple of days ago, if you want to check out how it looked. The products I've used to recreate this look are definitely among my favourites this month. I purchased the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner 24H in Milton Keynes a couple of weeks back, and I really love the effect it gives, it is kind of softer than your average eyeliner but it is longer-lasting. For the longest time, I was really afraid to try a gel eyeliner because I thought it would be so difficult. I'd always been intrigued though, ever since I saw Jenna Marbles use it in her makeup tutorial (this is one of the only serious makeup tutorials she's done, but she obviously looks gorgeous). I was obsessed with her a couple of years back and really wanted to look like her. I still love to watch her old videos and secretly think it would be amazing to live in Boston :) Anyway, back to my favourites. During the same Milton Keynes trip, I also bought the new Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara which I've started to use now, and I do really like it. I have to say my first impression wasn't great but the mascara has definitely grown on me. I think the brush part doesn't look like it would give good results, it looks a bit cheap-plastic-y and small, at least compared to other mascaras that I've used previously where the brush has been a lot bigger. But, this mascara does give a very nice natural finish on the lashes. I would probably describe the effect as looking like you have natural-looking fake eyelashes on. It definitely makes my lashes look longer rather than fuller, but I love it all the same :) Lastly, the eyeshadow I've used in this look has been either a Lumene Long-Wear Eyeshadow Palette in 4 Sandy Island (I've been using the light shade all over the lid, the medium brown towards the corner of the lid and the darkest one just in the corner and crease area. I'll warn you, the darkest is REALLY dark so it is best used very sparingly :D). I've no idea if you can get hold of Lumene cosmetics in the UK, I've bought this one in Finland. Sometimes, if I've really wanted a shimmery bronze look, I've used MAC Eyeshadow in Woodwinked (which is actually the only MAC Eyeshadow I own). It is great just used on its own!



Skincare-wise, I've been very pleasantly surprised by a night-time face cream that I purchased a few weeks back (read the post here). It's the Garnier Moisture+ Restore Night Care Recovery Gel-Cream. I really like the consistency and the smell, and I have to say I've been amazed at how much better my skin has gotten since I've started using this. I'm not getting any new breakouts, and my old blemish scars have been fading very quickly. Honestly, my skin hasn't looked this good in 6 months. I'm not really sure if I can contribute the whole change to this product, but I haven't really changed anything else in my skincare. Maybe it's because I never used a separate night cream before, or maybe this just is a miracle product... In any case, I'm loving it and can heartily recommend it to anyone as it is mad cheap as well!

Next monthly favourite is a place where I've made some really good finds and just enjoyed as a place of purchase recently. That is Primark. I used to go mad in there late last summer when I first arrived in London, but during the fall and winter I didn't really find it too inspiring. I don't know whether it was because I didn't really spend too much time in there or whether they just didn't have anything I liked in their collections. That said, I've loved shopping in Primark this month, and I'm in love with their spring and summer collections. Mostly, I've been to the Primark in Marble Arch, which is super busy but also super good. Especially, I want to mention the Primark candles in the spring collection. Most of them smell amazing, my favourites that I ended up purchasing were Red Berry & Jasmine and Passionfruit & Vanilla Cream (which might be my favourite out of the two). They probably do not burn as well as other more expensive candles, but for me the sweet-but-at-the-same-time-fresh fragrance of the both of them totally makes up for it :)


Film-wise, there was one film added on Netflix that I hadn't seen in the cinema because I didn't really think it would be for me but ended up loving when I actually watched it. It is Mr Peabody and Sherman. I remember when it came out a year ago, thinking it looked a bit childish, and I wasn't sure if I liked the style of animation either. However, it appeared on my "Popular on Netflix" tab last week, so I got peer-pressured to watch it. I have to say I absolutely loved it! I've always been interested in history and I love watching Doctor Who, so I think Mr Peabody and Sherman just combines all the things I love :) The jokes are really funny in a nerdy kind of way, and the movie actually reminds me a lot of Doctor Who. It also reminds me of another movie that I watched at Christmastime called Saving Santa. I saw it the first time last Christmas and I really enjoyed it (I have to say the reason why it caught my attention was that Martin Freeman was voicing the main character!). My favourite voice actor in Mr Peabody and Sherman was Stanley Tucci as Leonardo da Vinci, so look out for him! :)

I'd also like to share with you the book I'm currently reading, just because I love it oh so much. It is The Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling, and I do know that I am very late in reading it. It's been on my list ever since it came out and I just haven't got round to reading it. Now, however, I was reminded of it when BBC started showing the series based on it (which I haven't seen yet but might watch after I'm finished with the book). J.K.Rowling has the most amazing style to write and describe people and relationships. There are lots of interesting characters (so many, in fact, that you have to be really awake and sharp when reading so you don't miss any of the small references) and even though some of them have really sad and awful stories, there's just something about the characters and the story that gets you hooked and makes you just want to read, read and read. The book is definitely more realistic and graphic than I'm maybe used to, but it is not necessarily a bad thing to get used to different kinds of writing :)

Finally, food-wise there is definitely one brand that I've (naughtily) reeeally been loving this past month, and it's Domino's. Apart from the obviously amazing pizzas they make, I've loved the current deals they have on. The deals include pizzas (obvs), drinks and some sharers to start, and at £20 for the smaller deal for two or £25 for the bigger one for three, I think the price/quantity ratio is excellent. It's also been the perfect weather to have a cozy night in since it's been raining quite a lot :) Here's a shot of me enjoying some garlic bread in my onesie!


This should be 28 days' worth of favourites. I've planned a trip for next weekend so you'll soon be hearing about that, and hopefully I'll do a quick FOTD/OOTD-type post during the week as well!

Have an amazing start to March! :)

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts