My favourite books


Autumn is my favourite time of the year to get lost in a new book. I'm a complete bookworm and I've always loved reading, so I do like reading books all year round - but there's something magical about curling up on the sofa with a good story, wrapped in a blanket, when it's cold and/or rainy out. So, I thought I'd make a list of my all-time favourite books - hopefully you'll get some inspiration if you're looking for a new read!

- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (an excellent & heart-breaking story and a must if you're interested in learning more about developmental disorders)
- The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling (I hope you would have read all of them by now, but if not.... you're not welcome on my blog. JK (no pun intended). But HP is my favourite book series of all time, and they are not just for children)
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I love all of Jane Austen's books, but this is my favourite one - for obvious reasons. Who doesn't love Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy?? Elizabeth Bennett is a great role model, too)
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (this book is one of the greatest love stories, and includes some mystery too - my favourite combo)
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (a disturbing but really interesting story, if you are not very sensitive. This book made me really think about how skilled writers are in getting into the mind of a character who might be very far away from their own personality)
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (you might remember this book from my September favourites - I've enjoyed it so much that it's now made it into my all-time favourite books! The story is exceptional, and this book has really made me want to get into appreciating art. Don't be put off by the length - the book is a real page-turner)
- How to Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (the first book I read that dealt with race. It is an absolute must-read)
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (I love a gothic novel - and this one is one of the best ones I've read. Very suspenseful, and you never know what's gonna happen next - and, there's a great twist at the end!)
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (I have read many Agatha Christie books, and I've seen most of the Poirot/Miss Marple films - and this story is my absolute favourite. The premise is amazing, and the twist at the end... is the twist of all twists. This would be a good novel for this time of the year, as I do love a good mystery in the autumn!)
- Animal Farm by George Orwell (this is not like the other books on the list - but I consider it a must-read for everyone. It is funny but deals with serious, political topics - it is one of the most cleverly-written books I know)

I really hope this list gave you some inspiration if you're looking for a new book to read! I'd absolutely love it if you let me know your favourite book(s) in the comments - I'm always looking for great book recommendations! Also, if you're interested, you can find my Goodreads profile here.

Happy reading!

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts