Update on New Year's Resolutions

Long time no see!

I'm so sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. I just haven't felt inspired since it seemed like a lot of personal things piled up at the same time and I've been super busy dealing with those. But I'm back now, and I promise I'll try to blog a bit more regularly from now on!

That promise actually works really well with the topic of my blog post today. I thought I'd update you and myself as well on how I'm progressing with my New Year's resolutions. This is probably the first year I've done proper New Year's resolutions that I've taken seriously and am still thinking about when April comes around. And, to be honest, I did find that I'd fallen behind on some of the promises I made, but thinking about writing this blog post motivated me to get back on track with them, which was super helpful! That is one reason I actually feel pretty good about my progress.

I'll get on with it, one by one.

1) Keep a diary.
I've probably made the most progress here. I did have a couple of weeks in March where I wrote hardly anything, but other than that I've wrote something most days, which I'm proud of. The entries are not necessarily long, and I've made sure not to set any expectations for the texts to be serious or special. I just write what I've thought of during that day and how I'm feeling. Also, it's a nice way to record if I've done anything special that made me feel happy. I've also written down some dreams that I've had if I've remembered them in the morning. I've always been interested in dream analysis and would love to know what my dreams say about my sub-conscious. Most of the time, I can see details and themes that have been on my mind during the day appearing in my dream, but sometimes it is totally random! Maybe I'll look back on the diary later on, and I do love the idea that if I want to look back, I'll have something to go on. I still wish I'd kept a diary growing up though....

2) Maintain a semi-healthy lifestyle.
When it comes to the exercise resolutions, I actually feel like I've come the furthest there. I initially thought to combine running and yoga in my fitness routine. For the first quarter of the year, it's mostly been yoga since it's been pretty grim outside and even if it sunny, it's still cold. I have gone for a couple of runs though, and I plan to increase the amount when the spring is really here. It's just so much easier and motivating to go outside when the sun's shining and you can just throw on a t-shirt and some leggings and you're good to go. That said, I've actually really enjoyed doing yoga though. I'm still enjoying Adriene's channel on YouTube (Yoga With Adriene), which I think I mentioned in my January favourites... I'm nearly done with her 30 Days of Yoga challenge she had in January (I'm behind, I know, but regarding exercise, I did also have a couple of weeks in March where I didn't really do that much [read: anything], and mostly, I've been doing it 2 to 3 times a week anyway).

3) Be more social.
Progress on this front is a bit more mixed. I have really tried to be a bit more chatty with strangers and people I don't know that well, and there I think I have made some progress. I definitely think that people that meet me now for the first time, will not think I am that shy a person, as opposed to when I was in high school, for example. However, I do still notice that I require lots of private time and if I had my way, I'd probably come home every night to some chocolate and Netflix. Maybe I'll just try to push myself one night a week to engage in something with other people, that might be healthy...

4) Learn to not regret and appreciate that things happen for a reason.
This I feel is a bit more broad and deep of a resolution, and maybe 3 months is not enough to really see any progress here. That said, I am actively trying to add this kind of mentality in my life. Another "motto" that I try to live by (which is kind of similar to this one, I guess) is to live in the moment and not worry about things too much. So many times in my life I've found that things really tend to turn around okay.

That's just a bit of an update (mostly for myself, probably) on my New Year's resolutions now that we're a quarter into the year (wow, that's a scary thought, one quarter of 2015 already gone by!). Also, if I could add another resolution, I'd probably promise to write here regularly, which I will try to do. I have March/current favourites coming up, and I'm also still collecting some empties, which I think will make for a fun post. Again, I'll also try to include more "day in the life" type posts and OOTDs/FOTDs since I think those will be the nicest ones for me to look back on and remember 2015 by.

Anyway, I hope you've had a good start to April and you'll be hearing from me soon!

Love,
Maddy-Lou

Comments

Popular Posts